Your first step to getting into medical writing
Why you need a clickable & easy to share online portfolio.
- What is an online portfolio?
- Why do I need an online portfolio?
- How can I create an online portfolio for free?
What is an online portfolio?
An online portfolio is a link to a website where you share examples of your work.
This should be links to pieces you have published with your name on it, for example your blog, company websites or links to Google Docs. You can also include links to your social media accounts, such as your LinkedIn profile, and your contact details.
It’s also a great place to upload your CV and have everything in one place!
Your portfolio will be unique to you, and you can choose how to create it.
Why do I need an online portfolio?
You need an online portfolio because, in the current online market, the expectation to have an online portfolio is becoming more common.
Yes there is demand for medical writers, but there is also competition. So a presenting a portfolio means you have thought about how you work and is a way to show that you are professional.
A portfolio is useful because:
- It shows you know how to present work professionally
- You can include links to different places all in one place
- You can choose how you want to represent yourself, with your best pieces of work
- A client, recruiter or employer can easily share your portfolio link with their network
- You save yourself and others time as you don’t need to upload examples to an email as an attachment – and they won’t have to download it either
- You can easily update it whenever you have a new piece of work you want to show off
- It’s always online and searchable, so people can find it even when you’re asleep
How can I create an online portfolio for free?
You can create an online portfolio for free in a few different ways:
- Use a free platform, such as:
- Create your own free website on platforms like:
- Upload pieces of your portfolio into a Google Docs folder and make it a shareable link
- Create a clickable or video portfolio using a social media platform and use relevant hashtags so you are searchable, such as:
Keep in mind that with free websites, there may be limits to how much you can upload.
- Always keep a copy of what you produce on your computer or external harddisk drive (like a USB stick).
- This way you won’t lose any of your work and can easily upload it somewhere else in future, for example if you want to upgrade your portfolio.